As I set off on my run that day today I could tell right away something was wrong. My body felt drained, fatigued and I was only on mile 1. Just the week before I had run 10 miles as part of my half marathon training and felt outstanding.
I quickly realized what my issue was. See I have found when I am “off” during training it is usually one reason (well except for once a month – but thats a different topic I will share tips on later) — not enough water. I don’t mean right before my run, I mean the day before. Its what you drink the day before that matters, not right before.
Sure enough as I continued my run and thought about the past couple days I definitely slacked in that perfect fitness beverage – water. Lets first clarify, water needs to be your go to beverage before and after a work out… I know the commercial on tv told you you needed gatorade after a work out, to “replenish” everything you lost. In most cases, after an hour long work out you don’t need gatorade or a sports drink. If you are doing a more intense workout then usual, try coconut water instead of sports drinks.. much better for you!
So one thing I often hear from people when it comes to getting enough water, is they don’t like it, its boring, they are “addicted” to another beverage such as coffee or soda.
I used to be a HUGE coffee drinker, sometimes up to 2 pots of coffee a day! Now I drink almost exclusively water with the exception couple cups of coffee or glass of wine a week.
I am going to share some tips to get water to be your go to beverage over coffee/soda/juice etc.
1. Start slow – one reason people have a challenge with increasing water is they stop drinking everything else “cold turkey” and drink only water, after a couple days “boredom” creeps in and they stop drinking that awesome water.
2. 1-1 Rule Every time you go to have a cup of coffee/juice/soda/milk first have a full glass of water. Not flavored water either, pure amazing water! Start this habit and over time increase the water to other items ration. PS. If you drink a lot of flavored water, start cutting it with pure water, half and half.
3. Carry a water bottle throughout the day and challenge your self to refill it multiple times. I like to carry a 1 liter bottle and try to refill it at least 4 times each day.
4. Get Creative It’s ok to spice up you regular water with NATURAL items, such as lemons, oranges, cucumbers strawberries etc. Just make sure if you are tracking sugar or calorie intake you consider that into your daily calculations- I like to start my day with warm water with a pinch of Cheyenne pepper and a lemon. It taste awesome and is better then any cup of coffee when it comes to “waking” me up in the am.
5. Drink Water Before and after a work out — very little during. Too much water during a workout can slow you down or even cause stomach discomfort.
6. Prepare – having water handy makes it easy. Wether you need to buy pre filled water bottles or fill them yourself ahead of time. Be “Excuse Proof” when it comes to getting more water in. I have a bottle of water with me all the time.
7. Get Enough Water. Studies suggest 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce for half of your body weight. So for simple math, if you weigh 200 pds you should aim for 100 ounces of water a day. It may seem overwhelming at first, but if you commit to making it a habit you will be able to do it in no time.
8. Don’t Give Up!! The number one thing my weight loss clients tell me about getting enough water is how many times they have to go to the restroom. This will eventually become less of a challenge as your body becomes used to getting that much water daily. I know this can be frustrating, but remember you are doing one of the best things you can for your health.
So, to avoid feeling sluggish like I did that day during my training, I am going to stay focused on getting in enough water, EVERY DAY.
Want to join? I am going to do a 30 Days Of Detox Water, a fun way to challenge yourself to increase your water intake and take care of your body! Plus, when you register you will get my 28 Day Clean Eating Guide FREE~~
Fill out the form below to get started.